Tuesday, November 30, 2010

it's december?!

When did that happen?! No seriously. I'm confused.

I have 2 weeks left of my Asia Adventure, which I'm finding very hard to believe. I'm not sure which feeling is more dominant- my excitement to go home, or my sadness that my travels are coming to an end. But, as my sister reminded me, the world will always be there, and I can always frolic around it again. With that in mind, I'm trying to focus on getting home, centering my thoughts on how lovely it will be to cuddle & hide in blankets, to hug my parents, to be in the same country as my boyfriend, to drink tea without sweating profusely afterward (my sweat smelled like green tea sometimes, it was weird). I have a lot to miss in Asia, but I also have a lot to look forward to & embrace again in the US.

I still can't believe it's been 3 months. On one hand, I feel like I've been here forever. On the other, I look back & feel that it all blurred by too fast. Time becomes a funny thing as you get older. It's no longer just a unit of measurement, but it also becomes something more abstract, more like a feeling. Hours can feel like days when you're waiting, but melt into seconds during an engaging conversation (truth: Alex & I Skyped for 5 hours once without even realizing it. Good thing it's freeeee). Months can stretch for decades while in grade school, but rush past at college graduation. While planners become increasingly more important with age, the events & functions scribbled into them become more defined by this abstract idea of time. At least that's the case for me. I used to swear by pocket calendars. I'd be caught dead without one. But now, I carry around a completely blank notebook sans boxes for dates or even lines to write on. Instead of recording events under calendar days, I journal about them. And it's not a play-by-play, broken down to the exact minute. Instead it's a written memory of observations & feelings that happened on that date, during that time.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm not making any sense. I really should stop trying to write these thoughtful entries. I always just end up talking nonsense. Lewis Carrol would probably be a fan, though. Or a 6 year old.

Well, I should be leaving for my flight soon anyway. Time for my last island hopping adventures in the Philippines: Cebu & Bohol! Happy December, everyone. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment