Wednesday, January 19, 2011

today i got a job.

& I turned it down. It was for a marketing firm that specializes in direct marketing, meaning one-on-one, man-to-man, person-to-person... DOOR-TO-DOOR.


Before I write anything further, I would first like to note that I have full, complete awe & admiration for people that sell things door to door, whether that be man, woman, girl scout, or guy standing in the middle of the sidewalk asking if you have a minute for [insert world problem here]. It takes a lot of guts, energy & pep to go for hours pitching a schpeel that is usually responded to with rejection and not-interested's. Not a lot of people are cut out for this line of work, eg. me. I had such a job one summer in high school. I quit 3 days later.

So, today I shadowed one of the employees (we shall call him Chad) as a type of second interview. We drove to Santa Cruz, which was lovely & sunny. (I cringed when we drove past Maryanne's Icecream without stopping; I never pass that place without getting a scoop. NEVER.) After 50, I lost track of how many people we talked to, all of which were nice enough but most of which ultimately declined our promotion (discount paint ball tickets). But Chad just kept going, not discouraged in the slightest. I was amazed at his unwavering energy & cheer.

During pitching lulls, I learned a lot about Chad and how he ultimately wants to have a career in music. Listening to him geek out about his favorite bands, sound editing programs, personal side projects, etc. I kept wondering why he was & had been working this particular job and others like it for so long instead of pursuing something more in the music vein. What it boiled down to was that he was too afraid to take risks. Chad had become comfortable, too comfortable in financial & life style stability. These are two important things when considering the quality of human life, to be sure, but he didn't seem happy. At least not as happy as he was when talking about music.

We also spoke with an independent artist & an auto mechanic. Both, while living humbly & often swinging from financial safety to danger, were happy. Both were working jobs for which they had passion & love. I hope I can get there some day. I wish I could just open up my coffee shop now and be happy with that, but alas. As is the way of our society, I must first pay my dues by working multiple mediocre jobs that may make me want to cry/cringe/eat entire batches of funfetti cupcakes. Ah, such is life. At least I'll feel like I've earned my happiness & coffee house in the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment