Monday, September 13, 2010

i love postcards!

I really do! Every time I'm somewhere new, I get an itch to send at least 5 of them. And I usually do. It's become a pattern for me to spend about a third of my budgeted souvenir money on postage and cards. It's a bit ridiculous, but I can't help it! There's something so whimsical and old fashioned about postcards. Snail mail has become such a thing of the past, and the only things people get through pony express nowadays are credit card offers with 0% interest for the first 6 months, scary bills, or court summons. Those are not fun things to get in the mail. But postcards are!! Even if it's illegible I would still prefer the untidy scrawl over perfectly printed letters in those lame e-postcards. Whoever invented those is LAZY. And lamer than the e-cards themselves. Shame on you. So, that all said, if you want a postcard send me your mailing address!

I leave tomorrow afternoon. CRAZY. I still remember a few months back when I was panicking over a blank calendar that I had to somehow fill with travel dates and destinations. Now I'm panicking over remembering to pack everything or at least most things that I will need for the next 3 months. 3 months. 6 countries. And I don't even know how many cities. AHH! I'm going to Asia. I'm going to Asia! I will look like people and they will look like me (so, it'll be like living in San Jose)! I will eat amazing food and probably get sick at least once from street vendors but I won't regret it because it was SO GOOD! I will look monsoon season (yes, monsoon season) in the face and laugh (or nervously cry if I get caught in a bad storm. I really need to learn how to swim...)! I will love the currency exchange rate, so much, so so much! And I will buy all the seasons of Mad Men on dvd for pennies! Pennies!! YAY ASIA!

All right. I'm pumped. Like Arnold Schwartz. Just not scary or Austrian. Not that Austrians are scary (I happen to know many lovely Austrians). Just Arnold is. Especially in Jingle All the Way. I digress. I should really get back to packing and preparing, y'know, seeing as I leave TOMORROW. Gah. My next post, unless I procrastinate some more later, will likely be written in Asia, so until then! Peace out, Amuricah! See you in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment