Wednesday, September 15, 2010

good morning FROM THE FUTURE

I'm sitting in my aunt's condo in Manila, where it is so wonderfully air conditioned (or "air con-ed" as the Filipinos would say). It's a balmy 84*F in Manila, which I don't really mind, but it really is strange to me to have summer weather during September, which for me translates to autumn, scarves and cold breezes. Yea, I'm not going to be getting much of that here, which is sad because autumn is hands down my favorite season. Ah well.

My aunt's condo is small and cozy and reminds me of something you'd find in the financial district of New York, except probably 10 times cheaper for rent. It feels weird to be sitting here. I really still can't believe I'm here. Well, I suppose I have a good 3 months to get used to the idea, but I certainly hope it sinks in well before then. Waking up this morning was confusing though. I felt very disoriented and was alarmed to see someone hovering over me. I totally forgot where I was and it didn't help that my eyesight is blurry without my glasses. So, what I thought was a menacing wizard killer with a floating orb of death (yes, a floating orb) was actually my aunt with a plate of breakfast (rice, eggs and fish!).

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do today. Actually, no I'm not. I have more than enough things to do before I leave for China in a week. I need to get immunization shots, book hostels in China, figure out my trip itinerary for China... China China China. And shots so that I don't die. So re-word: I'm kind of at a loss as to where to start.

And by the way, can I just say that after years of being spoiled by great Wi-Fi in the United States, I have turned into a whiny complainer of the internet here. Or lack of really. I've been having problems everywhere, and every time I start to throw a mental tantrum, I realize how ridiculously spoiled and bratty I'm being. Wah wah, I can't connect to the internet. WAH. My having an IPhone certainly hasn't helped this dependency and need to be constantly connected either. I think this break from the world wide web might be good for me. It'll bring me back to earth and keep me from primarily living an electronic existence. This does clash with my desire to keep in touch with everyone though... Whoops.

I feel a bit lost. Okay, not a bit. Very lost. I'm sure I'll find my feet in the upcoming days, but right now it's all a big foggy. (Or should I say smoggy? Oh boy is it smoggy here!) But I did just book my hostel for Shanghai! YAY! I know that probably seems like a very small accomplishment (anyone who's computer and internet literate with a credit card can book a hostel online) but I've finally made a step in my China planning! So yay! I am excited! And I will dance to express that! But not right now. I'm in a coffee shop and I don't want the other customers to think, "What is that crazy Korean girl doing?" There is also at least one cop at most establishments and eateries, including this one, and I don't fancy being arrested or the like on my first full day of my Asia adventure for disturbing the caffeinated peace.

And with that said, I should get back to planning and figuring my stuff out. I promise that my next post will be much more exciting than this one. Promise! Sending you all my love from Asia!

3 comments:

  1. i love that nao you're the one in the future! feels good don't it? good luck planning and getting immunized (eeep), but enjoy the sunshine more little bean <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you brought pepper spray for all the monkey thieves. Watch out for pandas--they're sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my first post when I was abroad was a shot from Auntie Wawie's balcony too!!! haaahahaha

    ReplyDelete