Tuesday, October 26, 2010

fireworks in the rain.

The celebratory occasion is still unknown. I was on a rainy evening walk when all of a sudden booms & crackles, well, boomed & crackled, echoing off buildings. Everything around me lit up in a reddish glow and I could see sparks reflected in puddles. I looked up, wishing eyeglasses had the equivalent of window wipers, just in time to see the fading streaks of a firework. Several more followed and I watched transfixed. I then started wondering at the general human fascination with fireworks. Everyone loves them! Children go crazy, and adults admire them just as much (they're just not as expressive or scream-y about it). I watched the sky happily. The warm night, rain aside, could have fooled me into thinking it was the Fourth of July.

Today was a lazy but somehow productive day. I got my Japan rail pass (which was almost $200 more than I had budgeted for- GUH. Yea. There's no way I'm going to South Korea anymore. Womp.), booked almost all of my hostels for Thailand (thank god they're all cheap!), figured out a general plan for Bangkok & Chiang Mai, applied for more jobs, ate awesome avocado (nerd alert: ALLITERATION!) icecream (I wanted to type "acecream" but that sounded like an ointment for athlete's foot or something), discovered the most delicious hopia cart, etc. I also now have a gym buddy! We were running on treadmills next to each other when one of my headphones slipped out of my sexy, sweaty ears and New Order came blaring out. Not wanting to trip on the loose bud, I grabbed it quickly and we continued to run, ignoring each other, pretending I wasn't clumsy and my ears weren't sweaty. As I got ready to leave later, he paused his tread mill and said he loved New Order. !!!!!!!!!! So I now have a new friend from the 14th floor!

I miss cold weather. Even though I hail from California, the reputed warm sunshine state of perpetual summer, I love cold weather. The ability to feel and get cozy is such a lovely thing. And you can't do that in Southeast Asia, ever. Unless you blast your AC, I guess. Or get creative with a freezer. I miss burrowing under layers of blankets, wishing I could hibernate instead of going to class. And warm drinks in mugs! And baking cookies! And, as I've mentioned way too many times, apple pie. Ohhh man. First thing I'm doing when I get back to the states (after getting In 'N Out Burger. So I guess it's technically the second thing I'm doing?) is eating apple pie. An entire apple pie. It will be glorious.

I leave for Japan tomorrow! So. Excited. X infinity. Reasons:
1. It will be cold there! I was so gleeful while folding & packing my sweaters, cardigans, leggings... AND MY RIDICULOUS PANDA HAT. I bought it in China and have been waiting for a chance to use it! The time has come! Yes forever with moustaches!
2. The food! Sushi. Noodles. Rice. Fish. Haiiiiiiii!
3. The Studio Ghibli Musuem! Hayao Miyazaki is an amazing man, animator and brain. His animated features are beautiful (eg. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away) & adorable (eg. Ponyo), and I've heard the museum reflects just that. And there's a GIANT TOTORO. (The girl in this photo will be me, SO SOON.)
4. It's Japan... Don't really need any other reasons than that.

But, okay. Time to attempt to sleep.

P.S. While in the Landmark grocery store today, they started playing "The Final Countdown." While this was hilarious on its own, a guy behind the fish counter started wailing on an air-guitar. Fish-counter-guy, you rule.

1 comment: