Thursday, October 7, 2010

travel tips pt. 1

So, I love making lists and have decided to include some in my blog in addition to the journal entries! So here is a list of 5 random travel tips for China:

1. Bring your student ID. Even if you've graduated, bring it! You won't regret it. At nearly every site and location that I went to, there was a student price offered and it was usually half that of the adult admission fee. The saved yuan will add up! I spent mine on food. Big fat YES.

2. If you don't have a student ID, take advantage of the language barrier. Really. The only times I liked the language barrier in China was when I could present my library/insurance/credit/etc. card and pass it off as a student ID. Worked EVERY time.

3. Visit less popular sections of the Great Wall. Trust me. It's worth it. They're more difficult to get to and further away, but in the end, I'd rather make the extra effort to get there than to make the extra effort to elbow my way on the wall through crowds of other tourists. Mutianyu is a lovely section and there are areas where you can actually camp out on the wall. Super cool!

4. Visit parks early in the morning. To catch local community life, check out public parks and gardens! But it's best to go early in the morning. The wee hours of the day are the most lively. And tai chi groups are early risers, and the sight of rows and rows of people doing tai chi is something not to be missed!

5. Don't fall for the tea house scandal! They are disguised as Chinese youth, eager to practice their English and help you out as a poor, lost tourist. They chat you up and then ask you to join them to traditional tea. Sounds lovely and you can't blame lonely and lost tourists for biting the bait. But don't agree to this offer! The bill at tea house will be ENORMOUS and while your new Chinese "friends" may be all smiles and happy chatter, they're really just after your money, which they later split with the tea house. Just say no. Or better yet, tell them, "I know all about your tea house scandal! I DON'T WANT YOUR GREEN TEA!"

No comments:

Post a Comment