Saturday, October 9, 2010

i rode a motorcycle through rice fields!

No joke! And I am also kind of a tiny teeny bit tipsy. On accident! Allow me to explain. Ahem.

So, today was pretty ridiculous, and there was honestly so much potential for things to go wrong and for me to be kidnapped and sold into slavery. As usual, I woke up early, unable to sleep in because I was in a new bed and a new place. I have to warm up to a room before I can really sleep in it. I ate some awesome free breakfast from my hostel and then went walking, with the intentions of checking out a big market nearby. I was doing really well, I think, with the art of crossing the street. And believe me, it is an art! I thought that China and the Philippines were a awful. I was not prepared for the nightmare of Vietnam streets. Well, I guess I shouldn't say nightmare. Obstacle course? Intimidating obstacle course? Terrifyingly difficult and near impossible obstacle course? But I'm being dramatic. It really does take balls to cross the street though. Really. If you're not confident and assertive, you will get run over by either a motorcycle, a taxi, a bus, a bicycle, or all of the above at the same time or in succession. But I digress. So, while I was walking, a old man approached me on a red motorcycle, asking if I was in need of a guide. He was the 4th person to ask in 10 minutes and I was starting to get annoyed, wanting to walk in peace, and wondering just how obvious it was that I was a foreigner. He was relentless though, so I humored him for a bit, listening to his accounts of past tour guiding and how happy he made those tourists. In the end, I talked him down from $30 to $15 for a whole day of touring and traveling around on his motorcycle and meals. Cool, no?

But ah, my new friend is here and we're going to get more drinks! More banana wine I hope, which is more like vodka really, but with a smack of banana. Yummmm. Goodnight, mdears! I love you and miss you all and I will continue to recount my ridiculous day soon! And please excuse the spelling and grammatical errors if there are any. I will for sure fix them once in a more focused mindset! Taaaa!

Don't worry, mom and dad, I am drinking responsibly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment